1) Contrary to popular belief, the best time to stretch is AFTER you work out. When your muscles are warm, you can stretch them further. When they are cold, they might tear (imagine silly putty). It is best to warm up before working out, and stretch after you work out. And while you are there, hold each stretch for 12-20 seconds so the muscle actually has time to release.
2) Drink lots of water throughout the day.
3) Try not to sleep on your stomach, as this twists the spine in your neck for 7-9 hours a day. Instead, try sleeping on your side hugging a pillow with another pillow between your knees. Or better yet, try to sleep on your back.
4) Walking is great exercise, so if you can’t get to the gym, 15-20 minutes a day can work wonders. Don’t forget to stretch afterwards!
5) Warm, moist heat works best to reduce muscle tension.
6) Use ice for inflammation. If you run or work out and you feel that you overworked a muscle and it feels warm and tender, try putting an ice pack on the affected area.